Home on Wheels S1 E2 | How to install the ladder and why you need it
In the second episode of our journey in converting Mercedes Sprinter into the Home on Wheels, we’re talking about one of the most obvious but yet — also one of the most important things in your campervan, the ladder. Its installation should really become your first step, while your van is still in its original shape, with no interior or exterior modifications. To install the ladder, you’ll need open and easy access to both sides of your rear doors, which is why it’s good to do it at the very beginning of the building process. The installation itself is pretty much straightforward and we thoroughly cover it in our video. Check out more tips below!
Tip #1: Choose your placement strategically, making sure the ladder will not complicate your access to the doors, door handle, etc. You’ll be using the ladder a lot both during your build and after it’s completed. You’ll need access to your roof, your solar panels — and your deck to watch the sunsets, after all.
Tip #2: If your van has a window on one of the doors, install the ladder on the one without the window — this way you can avoid accidentally damaging it. If your van does have windows on both rear doors, you may need to install the ladder on the side of the van instead.
Tip #3: When you’re installing the ladder, make sure you have easy access to the inside of the rear side of your door, as this is where you’ll be tightening it.
Tip #4: Make sure the ladder is not above the roofline or below the bumper line, to avoid any damages or issues with clearance.
Tip #5: Pick a reliable brand, as it would be a pain to replace the ladder down the road. We’ve done our research while making our decision and picked this one. A year has passed since the installation, and it actually proved itself!
Here are the links to the ladder and the tools that we used:
1) Ladder (proved itself for well over a year): https://www.eurocampers.com/83-High-Roof-Aluminum-Rear-Door-Ladder-in-White-Black-or-Silver_p_941.html
2) LED Headlamp 12000 LM Ultra Bright, 4 Modes, Waterproof: https://amzn.to/3DFbDo8
3) Hi-Spec 130 Piece Multi SAE Drill Bit Set (works for Metal, Woods, Plastics, Brick & Concrete Drilling with HSS Titanium, Masonry & Brad Point Steel Bits): https://amzn.to/2WQU8jY
4) Neiko 10071A Torx Bit Socket Set, Metric, T8-T60 | 13-Piece Set, S2 and Cr-V Steel, 1/4″, 3/8″ and 1/2-Inch Drive: https://amzn.to/3mWeyTA
5) Ryobi P1817 18V ONE+ Lithium-Ion Cordless 2-Tool Combo Kit with (2) 1.5 Ah Batteries, 18-Volt Charger, and Bag: https://amzn.to/2Vc9RcO
As always — thanks for watching and if you have any questions, just let us know in the comments on the video page!
Do you have anything else to share or add to this story? Sign up for a free account, and post directly to our LiveFEED! Subscribe to our Youtube channel here.