Free skin cancer screening in Walnut Creek this Saturday
Golden State Dermatology has announced free skin cancer screening available by walk-in or appointment this Saturday, January 11th between 9 am and 11 am. Skin check event will take place at their Walnut Creek office, located at 2255 Ygnacio Valley Road Suite B-1.
Patients would be able to have either an area of concern evaluated or opt-in for a full skin screening. If you live in the area, you can either drop-in, or make an appointment by emailing Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did you know that skin cancer is considered the most common type of cancer in the U.S. and worldwide? 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime, the American Academy of Dermatology states. If detected early, survival rate of the deadliest form of skin cancer – melanoma – is over 99%. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, regular skin checks are essential to prevent, detect and treat skin cancer. It is recommended to perform self-exams monthly, and visit a board-certified dermatologist for a full skin cancer screening at least once a year.
Top 10 tips to keep your skin healthy
- Seek the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM.
- Don’t get sunburned.
- Avoid tanning, and never use UV tanning beds.
- Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
- Use a broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher every day. For extended outdoor activity, use a water-resistant sunscreen and re-apply every two hours or sooner.
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside.
- Keep newborns out of the sun. Dermatologists recommend to use sunscreen on babies over the age of six months.
- Examine your skin head-to-toe every month.
- See a dermatologist at least once a year for a professional skin exam.
- Get all the details in Your Daily Sun Protection Guide.
Have an event to share? Sign up and post to our LIVEfeed!
Image courtesy of Burst.